If you are you among the 15 to 20 percent of the world’s population with the heightened sensitivity personality trait, congratulations!
Whether you realize it or not, you are integral to rebalancing and bringing much-needed harmony, tenderness, and nurturing to our planet.
Body Talks Therapy offers somatic, or body-centered, experiential, and mindfulness-based approaches to healing and personal growth for individuals like you.
Dr. Elaine Aron, clinical psychologist, scientist, researcher, and author of The Highly Sensitive Person, coined the term HSP to describe people with sensitive nervous systems.
You process stimuli more thoroughly than the average person and feel more intensely than others. Often this translates into one of more of the traits I observe in my highly sensitive clients: you're more artistic, observant, conscientious, and intuitive, exhibit greater empathy, notice subtleties in your environment, identify imbalances as well as solutions, put others at ease, and hold a vision for what is possible in creating a better world. You nurture a rich, inner world, a contemplative or spiritual practice, or psychic abilities. You’re deeply moved by fine scents, flavors, sounds, or works of art. You’re artists, guides, coaches, healers, empaths, inventors, philosophers, thought leaders, and sages.Read More
Some of you feel like a canary in the coal mine, so to speak, first to detect and more easily overwhelmed by environmental stimuli. You may also relate to one or more of the following:
• You interpret your sensitivity as a curse, flaw, or mental health disorder.
• You feel more and thus have struggled more intensely with anxiety, burnout, chronic stress, depression, difficulty setting boundaries, emotional pain, existential or spiritual angst, relationship difficulties, overstimulation, or self-doubt.
• You’re affected by other people’s moods and require time to yourself to recharge.
• You avoid violent or upsetting news, lyrics, movies, or TV shows.
• You struggle with setting healthy boundaries.
• Your work process may be slower, perfectionistic, or nonlinear.
• You’re more selective in your choice of company, opting for deeper conversations and fewer, higher-quality friendships.
• You hide your spiritual beliefs or intuitive gifts for fear that people won’t take you seriously or will label you ungrounded, “woo,” or “out there.”
Heightened sensitivity is a gift, however, and can be experienced as such once embraced. An HSP-Knowledgeable Therapist and Coach who has completed Dr. Aron’s program on Psychotherapy/Coaching with HSPs (and as a fellow HSP), I hold a safe, nourishing space for your process to unfold organically and at your pace.
I employ powerful but gentle techniques that current neuroscientific research indicates rewire your brain to free you from limiting beliefs and patterned behaviors. And I will help you better understand your bodymind’s need to process stimuli more effectively. You’ll learn methods for improved self-care and how best to use this trait to create a happier, more fulfilling life.
Unsure whether you’re among the 15 to 20 percent of people on the high sensitivity spectrum? Click here to take Psychologist Elaine Aron’s Self-Test.